Long stay

Long stay (90 days or longer)

If the intended stay lasts longer than 3 months, a national long-stay visa (visa D) is required. This visa is valid for a maximum period of 1 year.

Procedure for applying for a visa

Request the authorisation to stay in Belgium for longer than 3 months at the Belgian diplomatic or consular post:

  • in the place of residence
  • or the place of stopover abroad.

Exceptionally, however, the residence permit can be requested from the mayor of the place of residence.
The decision is taken by the Immigration Office.

Required documents

  • Travel document or national passport in which the visa can be affixed (with validity period longer than 12 months)
  • Visa application form (double copy)
  • Two recent passport photos
  • Proof of financial solvency
  • Evidence of good conduct and morals
  • Medical certificate
  • Students
  • PhD students: registration certificate as a student and a proof of funding such as the scholarship
  • For researchers (post-doctoral researchers): an employment contract and host agreement and will apply for a valid single permit
  • For employees: an employment contract with Ghent University and will apply for a valid single permit